Asheville
Urban Trail

Station #27 - Monument Corner

Monument Corner
 
Listen:

Carving tools and a work in progress represent W.O. Wolfe’s tombstone shop, originally open for business on the corner now occupied by Asheville's earliest skyscraper, the Jackson Building (1926). In his shop, W.O. Wolfe engraved an angel, shipped from New York, for a family gravesite in Hendersonville, as referenced in Thomas Wolfe's Look Homeward, Angel.

Monument Corner

Urban Trail Stations

A plaque honors James Vester Miller, a son of slaves and master brick mason and artisan for the Municipal Building.

Artist Winston Wingo's bronze relief celebrates the spirit of Asheville's African-American community.

A bronze eagle overlooks a storied hotel district of old Asheville

This "jump off" station recognizes, via plaque, the original unfolding of Pack Square where the first log courthouse of…

Here you'll stand on the bed of a road (the Buncombe Turnpike) that was once traveled by Native Americans

A top hat, cane and gloves, cast in bronze, recall the theaters and the Grand Opera House that once flourished along…

Former resident Sydney Porter is celebrated with visual cues from his short masterpiece The Gift of the Magi.

The plaque at Station #5 draws attention to the Victorian frieze work along the front of the Drhumor Building (1895).