Dog-Friendly Adventures in Asheville
Enjoy a Mountain Getaway with Man's Best Friend
Your beloved pet deserves a little fun, too, and Asheville offers unique opportunities for your four-legged friend. Whether you want to explore the city or the mountains, you’ll find plenty of things to do. You can even give your pup the grooming of a lifetime while you relax with a spa treatment.
- The Blue Ridge Parkway has trails for every experience level, and pets are welcome as long as they are leashed and owners clean up after them. So plan accordingly, and don’t forget to bring water for you and your pet.
- Check out the Craggy Pinnacle trail at Craggy Gardens (milepost 364.4 on the Parkway), which ends at a 180-degree breathtaking view. Or take your pet to Graveyard Fields Loop, where he or she can enjoy splashing around in the cool creek or swimming below one of the two waterfalls.
Places to Visit
Explore the city with your four-legged companion on the Urban Trail. The fully interactive trail is marked by 30 stations decorated with plaques and sculptures, each describing an interesting fact about the city. Visitors may choose to walk the trail with a guide or rent an audio narration of the tour.
- Biltmore allows leashed dogs on its grounds, and owners can also enjoy the trails at the North Carolina Arboretum, though only service animals are allowed in the buildings or garden areas of both attractions. Please respect each area's pet policy; pick up after your pet, and never ever leave your furry friend in the car.
- Nearby Chimney Rock State Park is a pet favorite, with miles of trails suitable for all levels. The Park borders the Rocky Broad River and is an excellent place to let the dog cool off from the summer heat. As long as they are leashed and accompanied at all times, pets are allowed on all of the trails. They are not permitted in the elevator, restaurants or gift shops (service animals are allowed on the elevator). Do not leave pets in vehicles.
- Bring your leashed pet to any of the Asheville parks for some outdoor fun and frolicking. The French Broad River Park and Azalea Road Park include Asheville's dog parks, which have a fenced-in areas so that you can let your pooch off the leash to play with other dogs. Water and baggies are available on site.
Places to Eat
Most area restaurants allow pets to tag along with their humans if they stay on their patios or decks.
There even Asheville eateries, such as Twisted Laurel, which have a menu specifically for dogs!
Check out the Asheville Pizza & Brewing Company, which serves award-winning craft beers, or the gourmet vegetarian Laughing Seed Café, where Fido can lounge on an outside patio. Peruse used books while sipping fine wine or champagne at the Battery Park Book Exchange & Champagne Bar. Even the dogs beat a path to their door.
A few of the other area restaurants that allow pets on their outside decks or patios include:
- The Jerusalem Garden Café
- Sunny Point Cafe
- Wicked Weed Brewing
- Southern Kitchen & Bar
- Carmel's Restaurant and Bar
- West End Bakery
- Westville Pub
Places to Drink
Many bars and breweries in Asheville allow dogs inside including Urban Orchard, Tasty Beverage Co., Burial Beer, Green Man Brewery, Hillman Beer, French Broad River Brewery, UpCountry Brewing and Fleetwood's.
Shop until you bark—er, I mean drop—with an assortment of pet-friendly stores.
- Treasured Pets is an all-animal boutique, selling designer collars, pajamas, treats for dogs, cats, small animals and birds, and specialty foods. Check out their doggie strollers and animal umbrellas-for the pooch that has everything.
- Three Dog Bakery, located in downtown Asheville near the Battery Park Book Exchange & Champagne Bar, offers treats and toys for the canine crowd.
- The Bone-A-Fide Pet Boutique in nearby Black Mountain offers a wife variety of homemade treats, toys and other goodies for dogs and cats, and even pet birthday cakes.
- And when it's time to kick back, stop by Woof Gang Bakery for snacks or The Hop Ice Cream Cafe in North or West Asheville for a special puppy ice cream.