Asheville
Urban Trail

Station #22 - Civic Pride

Civic Pride
 
Listen:

A bell very close in shape to this one once rung out at important times in Asheville's City Building standing at the east end of the Pack Square from 1892 to 1926.  Originally called "Morristown," Asheville came into its present name in 1797, when Samuel Ashe, in his '70s, served as governor.

Urban Trail Stations

A bronze plaque pays homage to the mountains with a nod towards Beaucatcher Road.

This grass-surrounded marker reveals that there’s a time capsule buried underneath.

This granite etching renders Douglas Ellington’s original working concept of two art deco buildings of government.

A girl in bronze drinks at a fountain.

Carving tools and a work in progress represent W.O. Wolfe’s tombstone shop.

A plaque honors James Vester Miller, a son of slaves and master brick mason and artisan for the Municipal Building.

Artist Winston Wingo's bronze relief celebrates the spirit of Asheville's African-American community.

A bronze eagle overlooks a storied hotel district of old Asheville