French Broad Hot Chocolate
This signature hot chocolate recipe comes from French Broad Chocolate Lounge and is a two-part process. The drink is ganache-based, which is easier to make than you think. Want to spice it up a bit? We have a few alternatives to this beverage that will make for a gourmet treat.
Ingredients for Chocolate Ganache
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate (65% cacao mass)
- 4 oz. heavy cream
- Chop chocolate into small pieces and place in a heatproof bowl.
- Bring cream to boil in a small saucepan over med/high heat.
- As soon as it reaches a boil, pour the cream over chopped chocolate.
- Let sit for 1 minute, covered.
- Whisk gently to combine the chocolate and cream.
- As the mixture emulsifies, it will start to take on the appearance of thick pudding.
- Once all the chocolate is incorporated, your ganache is ready.
Ingredients for Hot Chocolate
- 8 oz. ganache (1 recipe from above)
- 24 oz. organic whole milk
- Combine milk and ganache in a large saucepan over med/low heat.
- Stir constantly with a whisk, until the mixture starts to simmer (you want some bubbles, but not a rapid boil).
- Serve immediately.
- Variation 1—To make the French Broad Chocolate Lounge's signature Liquid Truffle: Replace 24 oz. whole milk with 10 oz. half & half. Proceed with recipe. This makes a rich, indulgent sipping chocolate. Serve small 4 oz portions, as it's very rich!
- Variation 2—Sprinkle the hot chocolate with equal parts cayenne pepper and cinnamon.
- Variation 3—Add a drop of peppermint essential oil to the hot chocolate as it cooks (or more to taste, but this stuff is strong!)