Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Recipe
This signature recipe from the Great Hall of The Omni Grove Park Inn just the thing for sipping by a crackling fire on a cold night. Although store-bought marshmallows will work just fine, the Omni Grove Park's homemade confections can't be beat.
- 2 cups whole milk
- ¼-½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips (such as Ghiradelli)
- ½ cup caramel sauce (recipe below)
- sweetened whipped cream or vanilla marshmallows
- grated chocolate and course sea salt for garnish, optional
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup salted butter
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- For the carmel sauce: Gather all of your ingredients and have them nearby ready to add to the mixture as needed. In a heavy-bottomed 3 quart saucepan, heat sugar and water over moderately high heat whisking constantly to dissolve sugar. Once mixture reaches a boil, stop whisking and allow mixture to boil until it reaches a dark amber color, carefully swirling pan occasionally.
- Once mixture reaches a dark amber color, immediately add butter and whisk until butter has melted then immediately remove from heat. Wait 3 seconds then carefully pour in cream and immediately whisk to combine (it will bubble vigorously). Whisk until mixture is smooth. Allow caramel to cool several minutes then pour into a glass jar to cool.
- While caramel sauce is cooling, heat milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once milk is warm, stir in chocolate chips and caramel, and cook, whisking constantly until chocolate has melted.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve warm, topped with sweetened whipped cream or miniature marshmallows. Drizzle each serving with 1 Tbsp caramel sauce and garnish with grated chocolate if desired.
- NOTE: For a richer hot chocolate, you can use up to ½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips and mix in more caramel sauce as well if desired.