Thomas Chapel, believed to be the first church for freed Black people in Black Mountain, was called Tom’s Chapel when it was established (the name was later changed to Thomas Chapel). One of the earliest Black families to locate in Black Mountain, and one of the founding families of the church, are the Stepps, descended from white Black Mountain slaveholder Joseph Stepp and his slave Myra Stepp, who was part Cherokee. Thomas Chapel has been located in three different buildings from 1892-1922. The Thomas Chapel that currently resides on Cragmont Road was built in 1922 and lovingly restored in 2012. Join us in exploring this historic church and cemetery.