When Sour is Sweet36th Annual Sourwood Festival Kicks Off This Weekend.
Historic downtown Black Mountain will host “Sourwood,” a family-oriented street festival from August 9 -11, 2013. The festival is free to the public and offers things like gourd art, pet treats and accessories, jewelry, art, photography, pottery and glass, hand-turned wood bowls, birdhouses, and plants including iris, orchids and carnivorous. A sampling of children’s items includes toys, books, clothes, hair bows, and novelty items.
- A special Civil War re-enactment with cannon firing will kick off this years’ festival.
- Got talent? The Sourwood Idol Contest is an amateur singing competition that opens the festival on Friday, August 9, 2013 at 7 p.m. The contest is open to individual singing performers with no entry fee and the chance to win cash prizes.
- Foods include festival favorites - blooming onions, funnel cakes, gyros, turkey legs, philly cheese steaks, ribbon fries, fried apple pies, home-made ice cream and more.
- Free entertainment in the big tent includes old favorites as well as exciting, new performers: bluegrass, country, folk, cloggers, square dancers, gospel, and rock & roll – a different act about every 30 minutes. Performers are regional artists who donate their talents for the pleasure of festival attendees.
- Carnival rides by TCS Amusements include a Ferris wheel, swings, merry-go-round, and tempest ride. There is also a rock climbing wall, moon walk, and other fun children’s activities including free games in the Kids Fun Park.
Sourwood Festival schedule:
Friday – August 9, 2013 7-10 p.m. - Sourwood Idol Contest at the Big Tent next to Depot
Saturday, August 10, 2013 – Sourwood 5K
Saturday, August 10, 2013 – Sourwood Festival 9 a.m.- 8 p.m.
Sunday, August 11, 2013 - Sourwood Festival 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
For more information, contact the Black Mountain Swannanoa Chamber of Commerce at 800-669-2301 or visit www.sourwoodfestival.com.