Southern Living Readers' Choice Awards for AshevilleAsheville was chosen in various categories as a Southern Living Readers' Choice 2007 winner. The selected favorites were:
- Best Mountain City - Asheville earned the prestigious distinction of best mountain city in the South. Southern Living writer Tanner C. Latham writes: "Asheville epitomizes this category. The Blue Ridge Mountains serve as permanent backdrops—wizened, pointy humps on the horizon—to such an active city. I return often and love to feel the downtown buzzing, especially when exploring the blocks surrounding the Grove Arcade, a historic building full of shops and restaurants."
- Best Resort/Hotel - Asheville accommodations made both first and third place, dominating this category for reader favorites. The Grove Park Inn Resort & Spa was first place, and the Inn on Biltmore Estate ranked third with readers.
- Best Country Inn/Bed and Breakfast - Again, The Grove Park Inn Resort & Spa was favored, placing second in this category.
- Best Scenic Highway - The Blue Ridge Parkway earned the top spot for best scenic highway.
- Best Public Gardens - Biltmore was chosen second place as the best public garden in the South.
February 5, 2008