Last-Minute Ideas for MomCelebrate Mother's Day with great eats, free admission
If you're one of the many still looking for a way to celebrate your mother this Mother's Day, here are some great last-minute ideas:
- Visit Biltmore: Tour America's Largest Home (and the gardens, grounds, shops and eateries) with Mom on Sunday, and she'll get in free with the purchase of a youth or adult ticket.
- Hike at Chimney Rock State Park: Mothers get in free with a ticket purchase at Chimney Rock all weekend long. Choose a trail, hunt for some wildflowers, or just enjoy the view from atop the 315-foot monolith.
- Have a Family Brunch: Several Asheville restaurants are offering special Mother's Day brunch menus. The Market Place will be featuring spring dishes like strawberry arugula salad, white gazpacho, Pacific salmon and local Sunburst trout. Plant is celebrating with a prix fixe vegan menu, and the Blue Ridge buffet at The Omni Grove Park Inn is bursting with fresh dishes.
- Adopt an Animal: Mom can become a "Wild Parent" at the WNC Nature Center if you gift her with an animal "adoption." Choose from 25+ critters, including the red wolf and river otter, and from three adoption packages. All packages include a certificate of adoption, a fact sheet, full-color photo of the animal and an invitation to Wild Parent's Day.
- To Market: Want more inspiration? Head to one of the area's local tailgate markets this weekend and find locally crafted jewelry, soaps, pottery and baked goods, as well as all the makings of a delicious Mother's Day meal!
May 8, 2014