Holiday Events This WeekendThe holiday season is already under way in the Asheville area. The great thing about visiting this weekend is you can still catch a lot of fall color in this year's impressive and extended foliage season while also enjoying holiday events.
Here are a few holiday events happening this weekend:
- Candlelight Christmas Evenings - An enchanted spell falls over Biltmore House as day darkens into dusk. Lit by candlelight, firelight and Christmas tree lights, Biltmore House glows. Carols from choirs and ensembles fill the halls with festive sounds.
- Christmas at Biltmore Estate - Get swept away by holiday music, garlands, poinsettias, dozens of Christmas trees and a magnificent 35-foot tall live Fraser fir.
- The Polar Express - The Polar Express comes to life when the train departs Bryson city for a journey to our North pole. Read along with the magical story and meet Santa. Enjoy holiday caroling, hot cocoa, a special treat and a memento for the children. Daily departure times vary. Ticket price includes admission to the Smoky Mountain Trains Museum!
- Counter Culture Craft Fair - Come to Eaties Cereal Bar in Downtown Asheville at 48 Commerce (entrances on Patton Ave next to the Weinhaus and on Commerce St) and explore some of the more unique crafty side of Asheville. Dozens of local artists and crafters are coming out for the Counter-Culture Craft Fair - everything hand made and unique for special gifts in the upcoming holiday season.
- National Gingerbread House Display - Experience the enchantment of gingerbread. Contestants from across the country will bring their architectural masterpieces to The Grove Park Inn. Delight in the imagination shown in these sugar-and-spice creations, strolling through the competition is a sure way to be swept up in the holiday spirit.
- Holiday Market - Annual Holiday Shopping Extravaganza special and unique items for holiday giftgiving with an emphasis on local arts.
- 10th Annual Ornament for the Season Exhibition - Grovewoods holiday tradition continues with their 10th annual Ornament for the Season. Each year, Grovewood Gallery invites select artisans from around the country to create and exhibit a piece, or a collection of work, that represents their own holiday traditions. The exhibition will feature not only tree ornaments but menorahs, dreidels, nativity scenes, wreaths and much more. Traditional hot cider and ginger cookies will also be available for you to enjoy.
- 61st Annual Asheville Holiday Parade - A fun and creative parade that has kicked off Asheville's holiday season for 61 years with marching bands, floats, dance & theater troupes, walking groups and Santa Claus himself.
- Light Up Your Holidays Premier Celebration - Multicultural event officially rings in the season with a holiday sampler of music, dance, theatre, community caroling and a brilliant fireworks finale. A treat for kids of all ages!
Keep posted on the area's happenings with our Holiday Events page.
Keep up with all the latest news, deals and Asheville area things to do over the holidays:
Photo above © Biltmore, showing America's largest home decked for the holidays