First Year Flies for The Blackbird + Recipe
|Roz Taubman and host Chuck Hughes |
of Chuck's Eat the Street.
Chefs and co-owners Roz Taubman and Robert Buggia opened The Blackbird in 2009 and last year brought their restaurant to Biltmore Avenue, in the space just below the new Aloft hotel. The menu, which they describe as "modern Southern with a nod to tradition," features locally sourced produce and meats, fresh seafood from the N.C. coast and local craft beers.
|Triple Mocha Mousse Torte|
Photo courtesy of The Blackbird.
Recipe: Triple Mocha Mousse Torte
Yields: 1 torte (1 / 12” spring form pan)
For the walnut layer:
- 5 C ground walnuts
- 1 C sugar
- ½ t salt
- 1/3 lb butter
2. Press firmly into bottom of spring form pan.
3. Bake at 350° for approximately 30 minutes, or until just brown around the edges.
4. Cool in cooler.
|Photo courtesy of The Blackbird.|
- 1 lb chocolate
- ¼ lb butter
- ¼ C corn syrup
- 2 C heavy cream
6. Add corn syrup and remove from heat. Gradually add cream.
7. Allow to cool then spread on cooled walnut layer.
For mocha mousse layer:
- ¼ lb chocolate
- 1 t instant espresso
- 8 eggs
- 3 C brown sugar
- 1 lb butter
9. Beat butter and sugar with paddle and gradually add egg yolks.
10. Meanwhile, melt chocolate and coffee together and add to butter mixture. To combine well, take out of mixing bowl and pour into larger bowl and fold in egg whites.
11. Spread on top of cooled ganache layer and cool for 24 hours.
- 1 qt cream
- 1 C sugar
Check out other great recipes from Asheville restaurants.