Fall Scenic Drive of the Week - Literary Road Trip
This week’s themed fall scenic drive is the Novel Fall Road Trip. This drive should take you past a mix of high and low elevations to see variations in the local fall color, and you can experience some of the many literary landmarks of the area.
- Take the Blue Ridge Parkway south from Asheville toward Mount Pisgah, where you will find picnic areas, hiking trails and a restaurant.
- Travel north on US 276 through the magnificent Pisgah National Forest, which affords a spectacular view of Cold Mountain, made famous by the novel and motion picture of the same name.
- Continue on US 276 into Waynesville. Take US 23 north to US 19/23/74 east, which will return you to Asheville.
- When you return to Asheville, visit Thomas Wolfe Memorial State Historic Site, the boyhood home and setting for his classic novel, "Look Homeward, Angel."
- From Downtown Asheville, head north on Montford Avenue until you see signs for Riverside Cemetery, the resting place of O'Henry and Wolfe.
(Drive Time: about 2 hours round trip)
Get the Fall Color Hunter Reports
Be the first to find out what the color hunter knows!