Daytripper: Looking Glass Rock
Asheville Insider Tip: Looking Glass Rock Offers Challenging Terrain and Amazing Views.
A familiar site to anyone who has driven along the Blue Ridge Parkway is Looking Glass Rock. This rounded peak, technically considered a pluton monolith, has an elevation of about 4,000 feet and is a popular spot for hikers and rock climbers alike.
The hiking trail is moderate to strenuous and it's about 6.5 miles round trip. You'll want to take plenty of food and water as you'll probably spend half a day on the trail.
- From Asheville drive east on I-26 and take exit 40 for Asheville Regional Airport/N Carolina 280 toward Arden.
- Turn right onto NC-280 W/Airport Rd. and follow for 16 miles.
- Turn right onto US-276 N/Pisgah Hwy and continue for 5.3 miles.
- Take a slight left onto National Forest 475 Rd and follow for 1.5 miles/
- Continue onto Headwaters Rd for 1.2 miles and then you should see signs for the trail head on the right.
Find the best hikes near Asheville.
June 22, 2013