Wellness traditions run deep in the Blue Ridge. The crisp mountain air, cool streams and nearby natural hot springs are long believed to make the area one of healing, relaxation and retreat. Home to the southeast’s oldest herbalism school, myriad tea rooms, salt caves, massaging waterfalls, spas with mountain views and endless natural offerings, Asheville is a draw for anyone looking to travel with well-being in mind. Whether you’re easing back into travel or seeking wellness inspiration from afar, Asheville’s experts offer support, new services and peace of mind.
Wellness Among the Trees + Private Offerings
Asheville offers mountaintops and remote locations for visitors looking for inspiration and moments of Zen. Namaste in Nature tours can be booked for groups of friends and family looking to venture to hidden waterfalls and peaceful spots for yoga in nature. The same goes for Asheville Wellness Tours, who offer forest-bathing experiences with a certified forest-therapy guide in addition to essential-oil archetype readings, tea and tarot cards and new SUP yoga tours. Individuals or groups can also book the Asheville Salt Cave for a private experience. Find more about Asheville’s wellness scene here.
Looking for a wellness retreat? OM Sanctuary (reopening in fall) offers renewal with expertly curated and personalized wellness programs for travelers seeking holistic methods for stress reduction (yoga, sound therapy, forest bathing, hiking, meditation and numerous movement practices) and sustainable practices on a scenic 52-acre campus just above the French Broad River. Just minutes from downtown Asheville, the property offers garden-view rooms/suites, woodland cottages with private entrances and Sanctuary Pavilion sleeping rooms with skylights and nature views.
Wellness at Home
- Online Group Tarot & Essential-Oil Readings: Asheville Wellness Tours is offering an array of experiential online programming to bring people together with friends and family during this time of separation. Gather your group virtually for their new Archetype Essential Oil Reading (the oils come by mail) or try group tarot, private yoga, meditation or dance classes.
- Sound Healing at Home: Wellness experts from the Asheville Salt Cave are sharing sound-healing concerts, meditation, herbalism workshops and tea discovery classes via its Facebook page.
- Virtual Dose of Relaxation: Miranda Peterson, founder of Namaste in Nature, a guided yoga hiking company, has developed a series of free, online videos for inspiration and meditation. Her YouTube videos include virtual hikes, 360-degree views from some of the area’s most scenic spots and guided yoga breaks.
- Tea Breaks: Asheville Tea Company hosts a weekly virtual series, “Tea Break,” where the company founder gathers a special guest from the tea community to chat about topics ranging from pairings and tea pints to farm sourcing and tea ceremonies. Tea Break is hosted live on the Asheville Tea Company Instagram page.
- Find more virtual wellness offerings from Asheville here.
Asheville Cares Stay Safe Pledge + Businesses with Modified Operations
Asheville-area businesses have stepped up to protect workers and guests with safety measures that go beyond state guidelines, including the Asheville Cares Stay Safe Pledge, a shared commitment with travelers to keep everyone safe with extra precautions. Understand the extent of the protections that the Buncombe County hospitality industry is putting in place—click here to read the Asheville Cares Stay Safe Pledge. Explore Asheville is also keeping a list of businesses with modified operations with safety and sanitation protocols in mind.