- 1 large, or two small, turkey or chicken carcass
- Chicken bouillon
- 1 can tomatoes - peeled and diced
- 3 zucchini - sliced in ¼-inch sized pieces (not peeled)
- 2 ½ pounds carrots - sliced or chopped
- 1 medium onion - diced
- 6 to 8 celery stalks - diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley - chopped
- Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried basil or 3 tablespoons fresh basil - chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 nine-ounce packages of cheese tortellini
- Combine carcass with water and chicken bouillon and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for three hours.
- Remove bones and add meat to broth. Add all remaining ingredients except tortellini and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaves. Add the tortellini and cook for 15 minutes. If freezing the soup, add tortellini when serving.
This recipe makes eight quarts.