Here is a recipe for green tomato end of harvest soup.
- 4 green tomatoes (cored and diced)
- 3 ears sweet corn (shucked and cut from cobb)
- 2 butternut squash (peeled, pulp removed and sliced)
- 2 zucchini (sliced)
- 4 carrots (diced)
- 4 celery stalks (sliced)
- 2 large onions (diced)
- 3 cups greens chopped (kale, beets, turnips)
- 3 potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 2 cups beans (any available)
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 tps. thyme (chopped)
- 3 tbsp. green onion (sliced)
- 6 cups or more vegetable stock
In large heavy bottom pot saute carrots, celery and onions in olive oil until they begin to turn tender. Add zucchini, butternut squash and beans, continue sauteing until mixture starts to brown. Then add corn, green tomatoes, greens, potatoes, thyme and green onion and saute for two minutes. Add vegetable stock and cook until potatoes are soft. Add salt and pepper to taste and more vegetable stock until ideal consistency.
Recipe by Julie Stehling of Early Girl Eatery, an Asheville restaurant that serves dishes made from scratch with ingredients from local farmers.