With flights to Europe close to $1,500, a stateside summer road trip to the "Paris of the South" could stave off staycation blues. One tank away from many destinations along the East Coast, Asheville offers budget-friendly options and cool mountain breezes as summer travel heats up.
Free Gas, Free Splash & Free Money!
8 Hot Summer Travel Deals in the Blue Ridge Mountains | CoolAshevilleSavings.com
- Free Gas: Get your tank filled for free - up to $25 of free gas per night - on your summer getaway with one of the new gas card travel packages.
- Biltmore Free for Kids: America's Largest Home, Biltmore, is free for kids ages 9 and younger with paying adult. Starting Memorial Day weekend, youth ages 10-16 will be admitted for only $5, May 27-September 5.
- Free Events: The 2011 summer calendar is full of free entertainment, from the largest free outdoor music festival in the Southeast (Bele Chere, July 29-31) to free bluegrass and dancing under the stars (Shindig On the Green, July - Sept) to delicious days devoted to mountain honey (Sourwood Honey Festival in Black Mountain, Aug. 13-14).
- Combo Tours = Big Savings: Asheville attractions are teaming up to offer savings on popular tours and adventures. Try a riotous comedy tour (with a little history for good measure) and a zipline canopy adventure or a scenic mountain train ride that ends in whitewater fun.
- Free Splash: Leave your wallet at home for these refreshing water adventures including secret swimming holes, an interactive water fountain and a 60-foot natural water slide ($1/person).
- Go Blue Ridge Card : This multi-day, multi-attraction pass is a useful savings tool for unlimited access to more than 30 area attractions including Chimney Rock Park, white water rafting and Biltmore.
- Park & Play Attractions: Gas-free sightseeing is easy in a walkable city with more than 2,000 miles of hiking and biking trails nearby. The tourism office offers a handpicked list of fun, gas-saving Park the Car Adventures at CoolAshevilleSavings.com.
- Free Money: Ok...technically, we're not giving away free money, but historic Grove Park Inn Resort & Spa is offering free gourmet breakfast and a $25 hotel gift card with their new summer package, "Bed, Breakfast & Bucks."
- CoolAshevilleSavings.com - budget travel planner, deals and travel inspiration
- Twitter @AshevilleDeals - daily deals and insider savings tweets from the Asheville Concierge
- VIDEO: Sliding Rock, 60-foot natural waterslide near Asheville