Cranberry-Pistachio Biscotti from Corner Oak Manor B & B
- 1 1/3 cups dried cranberries
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pistachio nuts
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a medium bowl soak the cranberries in enough hot water to cover for five minutes. Drain well and pat dry with paper towels or roll in a cloth towel.
- Stir together the flour, sugar, baking soda and powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add the eggs and the vanilla, beating until it becomes doughy. Stir in the cranberries and add the pistachios.
- The dough will get thick. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead and halve it. Working on a large buttered and floured baking sheet, form each piece of dough into a flattish log 13 x 2 with floured hands.
- Arrange the logs at least three inches apart on the sheet.
- In a small bowl beat one egg with one teaspoon of water and brush the logs with the egg wash.
- Bake the logs in the middle of a 325-degree oven for 30 minutes, and then cool on the baking sheet on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Cut the logs crosswise on the diagonal into ¾-inch thick slices. Arrange the biscotti slices standing up on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until they are pale golden and dry. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.