from Linda Carter of Southside Café
- 1 medium onion
- 8 cups of chopped broccoli
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 2 cups canned cheddar cheese sauce
- 1/4 cup oil or clarified butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- Seasoning to taste
- Combine the first 3 ingredients in a heavy pot and simmer on medium heat until the broccoli is soft, add the heavy cream and the cheddar cheese sauce. Let simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Combine the butter and flower, cook over low heat for several minutes to get rid of the floury taste.
- This will be the thickening agent for the soup. When the soup reaches the desired thickness, remove soup from the heat and add the sour cream.