Hiking the mountains of Western North Carolina
Enjoy a section of the epic Appalachian Trail on Max Patch Mountain. Once cleared for pasture land in the 19th century, the area is now a grassy bald with stunning views of the Great Smoky Mountains to the southwest and the Black Mountains to the east. The wide open area makes for an amazing picnic.
Length: 2.4 miles
Elevation Gain: 350 feet
Trail Type: Out-and-back
Skill Level: Moderate
Duration: 2 hours
Trailhead Elevation: 4,280 feet
Top Elevation: 4,630 feet
Directions from Asheville
- Take Patton Ave. to West Asheville.
- Turn right on New Leicester Hwy., also 63 W.
- Follow signs to stay on 63 W for 26.8 miles.
- Merge with 209 N.
- After 1.6 miles, turn left on Caldwell Mountain Rd.
- After 2.1 miles, Caldwell Mountain Rd. will end. Turn right on Meadow Fork Rd.
- After 1.7 miles, turn left on Little Creek Rd.
- Turn right on Max Patch Rd. at the end of Little Creek Rd.
- After 1.4 miles, turn right on Max Patch Rd.
Find more hiking trails in the Asheville Area...